Entrance Portal of the Church25. April 2018
The church of St. Benedict the Abbot and the Virgin Mary3. March 2016
The town of Hronský Beňadik gained market rights in 1680 and the grain market became particularly popular. Later, in the 18th century, the west wing of the former Benedictine monastery was consequently converted into a granary.
Wooden structure composed of the carved pillars, beams and plank floor divided the giant interior of the newly built granary into 4 storeys (approximate area of one floor is 800m2). Double-story apartment for the granary manager, accessible from granary as well as from the south-eastern abbatial wing, was constructed in the eastern corner of the complex. Granary’s decorative wooden construction reflexes typical contours of the period it was built in. More examples of such architecture are preserved mainly in Czechia, for instance the granary in Slaný. Monastery granary in Hronský Beňadik is remarkable due to its enormous size, because at that time mostly three-storey granaries were built in Slovakia’s territory, for example in Svätý Anton or in Šahy.
During the reconstruction works, led by architect Franz Storno and his sons in 1881, part of the former Benedictine monastery together with the roof of the granary was burnt down. However, no evidence of the fire was discovered that would raise a suspicion that the roof frame removal wasn’t provoked by the fire destruction. It is believed, that Storno had just tried to avoid the bureaucracy of the Monuments Board.
The photo story of the granary’s reconstruction you can see here.